Monday, July 23, 2007

Not exactly off to a great start...

Wow this is the most I've blogged in months! Two posts in one week!

Hmm.... not the best first day back at uni (out of the two that I've had =P). Only because my ex-bios-lecturer spent the majority of his lecture slamming christianity and God and creationism (I say ex because I've since dropped out of that course and picked up stats -_-"). I mean, it's his free will to have an opinion and all, but I just thought it was extremely inappropriate, unprofessional, offensive, insulting, and a myriad of other things like that, to express his opinion the way he did and in the situation he was in. I sat there, feeling the steam building up, and just couldn't see how I could take more lectures with this guy. Plus thinking about having to dissect toads and rats in the lab was NOT very appealing. I seriously wanted to start a group on Facebook, called, 'People who think **** ****** is the anti-christ'... no just kidding, but seriously...!! It was that bad! I noticed a number of other CBS people in the lecture.. I wonder how everyone else took it.

On a happier note.. the only thing(s) that made today bearable was the CBS talk by Charles Gajus. The talk was about why Jesus didn't heal the paralytic in Mark 2:1-12. Something that really hit me was that, even though we think we know what we need, we think that we know what's missing in our lives (e.g. that car, that job, that ipod, that top, that guy/girl, that body, etc), and we think that if only God would give this to us, we'd be satisfied and fulfilled... God knows what it is that we really need: the forgiveness of our sins. We need to be brought back into a relationship with Him. So why didn't Jesus heal the paralytic (although He did in the end)? Because He knew what the paralytic needed infinitely more.

Looking forward to hearing more talks from Charles..

Another thing that was great about today was seeing CBS people everywhere, wearing the mission jumpers. It was awesome and soo encourageing to see that they weren't ashamed to wear them.. and to remind me that we're not alone, we're all in this together. It was great coz there was at least one person wearing the jumper in every sincle class I had today.

So, I had to rearrange my timetable and... now I don't have fridays off =( . But it's actually a good thing I guess.. coz I think I prefer things to be spread out.. and it gives me a reason to get up and go to uni and study.. A plus is that my tuesdays have been freed up so now I have more time to go to CBS core! Yay! Reallly looking forward to it =D

I had a try of driving to uni today. It wasn't too bad. Ended up parking at kingsford and walking all the way up to Clancy (still getting some exercise, which is good =P). Waited for my mum to finish work then we drove home and had dinner at hurstville. Good thing is that my days don't start too early, so I get to avoid the peak-hour madness.

Anyywwaayyy.. been trying to follow The Daily Reading Bible. It's so awesome because you can just take it with you and read it on the go. Buy 2 get 1 free at Koorong. I definately recommend! =) .. although it doesn't in itself solve the problem of actually wanting to open the Bible and having some quite reflection time, it does help with the 'where do I read, what do I read, and what do I do when I read?' kinda questions.. but I guess the desire to do it still has to come from within..

Something that's helped me the past few days is thinking about how... (and I got this from MYC btw)... we often wish we knew what God's will for our life is.. but we don't actually take the effort to find out.. we kinda have the 'God, show me a sign' mentality, which doesn't always work. So we tend to forget that God has given us EVERYTHING we need (2 Timothy 3:16-17) in His Word. How foolish would it then be, for us to treat reading the Bible as a chore, as something we just fit in and rush through just for the sake of having done it. The Bible is our ticket to getting to know God better, and learning how to better live our lives in full service to Him and to others. We, including myself, definately need to get our priorities right.


Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
- Ecclesiastes 1:2 (ESV)

No comments: