Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Every Young Woman's Battle..

I watched A Beautiful Mind last week.. and something John Nash (played by Russell Crowe) said really hit me. If you've never seen the movie it's about a mathematical genius who is schizophrenic and wins the Nobel Prize despite his mental illness (and it's based on a true story which makes it all the more real and touching). It's also a very beautiful and real love story about true love and not just the feeling of being in love. In it there's this scene where his John's friend Martin questions him about his schizophrenic dellusions (people that he see that aren't actually there).. and John says to him:

I've gotten used to ignoring them and I think, as a result, they've kind of given up on me. I think that's what it's like with all our dreams and our nightmares, Martin, we've got to keep feeding them for them to stay alive.

I still see things that are not here. I just choose not to acknowledge them. Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream.

How profound is that!?!? I found them so. Those words just really hit me and convicted me to try harder to stop giving fuel to those thoughts that are not pleasing to God. A nutritional diet takes effort; you can't just expect to lose weight without doing any hard work. The same goes for a mental diet. So as a result I've made some changes that by God's grace and strength I'll be able to perservere in.

Yesterday I bought Every Young Woman's Battle and it's such an AWESOME book. A MUST read for all girls!! Lust is definately not just a male problem. I highly doubt that many girls are susceptible to lust and if you are then.. thank God for such a blessing!! Here's some very important dot points about what I learnt from that book:

  • Lust starts in the heart, and corrupts your entire being.
- The heart is deceitful above all things & beyond cure. Who can understand it? - Jeremiah 17:9
- Above all else, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life - Proverbs 4:23
- For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks - Matthew 12:34
- But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean' - Matthew 15:18
  • Having an accountability partner can help in your struggle
  • Love is not a feeling. It is a commitment (just like Darwin told us on Sunday night for whoever was there.. Tommy you probably wouldn't remember anyway.. lol)
  • The media will definately influence your values. You may reason your way out of believing this by saying to yourself, "I'm only watching (or reading or listening to) it. I don't agree with what they're doing" but well.. I dunno about you but when I'm honest with myself I know that's not true. Subconsciously, the media does influence your thoughts and values a great deal. It's not just tv shows but books (especially those romantic ones), movies, magazines, and music too. So be on your guard. Part of my diet is to stop watching movies/tv shows and reading books that promote sex before marriage and other lustful thoughts and behaviours.
  • The greatest commandments are to love God, and to love others. With this in mind, you can live in a manner that is pleasing to God by asking yourself, "Is it loving to wear this low cut top" or "Is it loving to flirt with this guy if I have no intention of pursuing a relationship with him" or "Is it loving to use this guy to satisfy my own selfish desires" and you get the point.
  • God created men and women the way they are for a reason
  • Attention and Attraction are perfectly normal things. It's perfectly normal when a cute guy catches your eye. It's perfectly normal when you get to know him more and become attracted to him. But when attraction leads to Affection and Attachment then you should only proceed with caution, i.e. only continue if you're prepared to be committed to this person.
  • Having a boyfriend will not solve all your problems. You cannot possibly find total fullfillment in another human being. Only from God can you get this. Being single has it's issues. Being in a relationship has it's issues too. Being married has issues too. You will NOT be fulfilled by having a boyfriend so don't count on it.
Wow ok.. that's enough for now. I DEFINITE read girls. It's very straightforward, honest, and practical. There are heaps of personal stories from girls and lots of practical tips. Please feel free to borrow it from me or Paoley hehe. I have to contact mine first though *wink*. And guys I've heard very good things about Every Young Man's Battle too so try and get your hands on a copy of that as well.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

did he say those words at the end of the movie? cos throughout the movie he was pretty crazy...

Anonymous said...

Tommy: lol ok good Tommy.. I'm glad ;)

yup i think it was 14.95.. rav's got a copy so maybe u could borrow his.. as an option..

Huey: Hey man.. u didn't even watch all of it!! Yeah it was towards the end.. when he was pretty old..

Anonymous said...

i cant remember ever watching the movie.. i think ive seen bits of it.. but the quote sounds good..

i agree with all the attention and attraction thingo..