Wednesday, February 14, 2007


CBS O-Day..

Wow! Just had such an incredibly encourageing and awesome day. Not because there were hot guys there, or because of the "feel-good" talks, or because the food was great, or because the games were anything spectacular.............. but just because of God's word spoken faithfully, all the practical tips about surviving uni as a christian, and the incredibly motivated and friendly mts (ministry training strategy) workers and other cbs(campus bible study) members. We're so blessed to have such a great ministry on campus!

One of the talks was given by a lecturer from the school of economics. A question that really hit me was, "Why am I at university?". Naturally I thought to myself, it just seemed to be the natural progression of things, you know. School, uni, work.. that's what's expected of us.. especially if you're asian. But I realised shortly after that, if that's the only reason why I'm going to uni.. then at some point down the road... I'm going to feel like it's not worth the bother.. when assessments pile up (which, lets hope, they don't) and the stress gets to me... I'm just gonna think, 'this is all a waste of time, effort, and money'.

So having realised that, and being reminded that we're given various opportunities in our relatively short lives to make the most of the time we have by doing all we can to bring glory to God, our creator, and that one of these opportunities is the chance to pursue a higher education, which, only an estimated 3.3% of the world get to do, we should be sure to actually BE a christian at university and use the time wisely.

So we were given some examples of what being a christian at university might look like, including:

1. being happy to be seen as foolish in the world's eyes (1 Corinthians)
2. Training in Virtue, Uprightness, Steadfastness, Perserverance, Self-control, Godliness, Brotherly-kindness, and Love (2 Peter 1, 2 Timothy 4)
3. Respecting authority (Romans 13)
** it's about our character, approach, and motivation to university life.

It was also said that the next few years are going to be very challenging for us as christians(e.g. difficulty of the academic workload, the temptations that abound, and having to engage with worldly issues such as origins of the universe, science vs. religion and etc), so we should treat them as opportunities to work on our characters and also our thinking.

Plus lots and lots of helpful, practical advice. Anyway, it was just suuuuch an encourageing and useful day, that I had to share it with whoever still reads my blog =P. And to think I nearly missed it!! I'm so bad with dates!! Bahh, didn't even realise O-Week was next week until this morning!! I'm just so out of it right now!

We finished at 3pm (started at round 10am) so I went home to check out a guitar shop that just opened near my place. Not bad, not bad. Then I was so elated and energised, that I decided to walk home. Such a nice day weatherwise. Took about half an hour but it was a really nice walk.

alrighty, I'm out. Hope all is well in your world. And if it's not, just remember that God is Sovereign, and wateva doesn't kill you makes you stronger (well, since it's Valentine's Day, I thought it was appropriate to use a lil cheese and corniness.... not that i'm belittling the truth in that statement =P)

No comments: