Friday, March 16, 2007
Did my first hour of research participation for Psychology on Tuesday. Wasn't a particularly pleasant experience. The experimenter was american for one so, enough said. Basically had to recall some random memory that popped into our head in the past week, and answer lots and lots of questions about it. Silly me, only realised afterwards that I'd signed up for another experiment next next tuesday with the same experimenter so, not happy jan! Grrr..
Wednesday was interesting. Had my psych tutorial in the morning and the whole class (I presume) was hypnotised! Pretty awesome actually. Like, at first you're really skeptical about it right (well at least I was) and you basically have to listen to this guy on a tape saying stuff like, "You're getting very sleepy.. very sleepy.." lol and etc. I was actually trying not to laugh because we were told not to laugh because it would disturb the process.
Anyway... we were told to do a few things and one of the first was to stretch out your left arm in front of you, palm facing downwards. And then the dude said, "Now, your arm starts to feel very heavy... it's so heavy... it feels like there's a weight pushing your arm down... and down... and down...." and etc. And really weird but it actually happened like, without consciously moving my arm down, you could really feel this "physical" weight on it. And I was once again trying not to laugh coz I'm thinking... "Omgosh wth is going on!?!"
So after that he tried other things like, linking your fingers together and not being able to pull them apart, and closing your eyes so tight that you couldn't open them again, or hearing a fly buzzing near your ear and swatting it away..... but none of those worked on me. The only other one that worked was when he said to stretch both your arms out in front of you, 30cms apart, palms facing each other. Then he said to imagine that your arms are being pulled together like magnets... and that actually happened.
Apparently the two ones involving your arms were the most easily to be done and not a lot of people could do the other ones. So yeah, they've been using hypnosis in like stress therapy and things like that, so there does seem to be some proper use for it other than you know, people telling you to cluck like a chicken.
So yeah, that was fun and interesting.
Also the weirdest thing happened yesterday. After I finished uni I went home, read some lecture notes and stuff, and then watched an episode of Alias.. and I was just feeling kinda tired you know. So thought I'd relax a bit, have a lie down. This was at about 6pm btw. So I thought I'd have a nap for maybe 2 hours or something, till it got dark. And I ended up sleeping all the way until 9am the next morning. Not that I felt particularly tired, I just, didn't feel like getting up. So bad right? -_-;;
Mmm can't afford to do that anymore. I got two more assignments today. So altogether that's three. Two due next week and one due the week after. (sigh) Nothing toooo major though so should be manageable. Just gotta find the motivation to do it. Just thinking about it makes me feel tired.
I had my Philosophy tutorial today and I don't particularly look forward to it, but today was pretty interesting. The major topic of discussion was basically, 'if God is omnibenevolent (all good) and omnipotent (all powerful), then why does Evil exist?' . Tough stuff right?! Actually surprised that I wasn't the only person who believed in God. So yeah, it was really interesting.
Anyway.. better get along with the things I need to do this weekend (sigh). Laterz.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment