We can follow our ambitions in this life.. to be rich, successful, goodlooking, popular.. whatever it is that we desire. But all those things will rot in time. If you're rich.. you have lots of money.. does that mean that when you die.. you will still be enjoying being rich? No.. your money will go to some person that didn't work for it. Your life is gone.. and what did all that "success" get you? Nothing. Life is totally and utterly meaningless if God is not a part of it. Think about it.. will money, beauty, power really make you happy? Will it last for eternity? Or is it fleeting?
Honestly.. I haven't been very "christian" lately.. whateva that means. No, what I mean is.. I really haven't been living my life the way that God would want me too. I once again haven't been very loving, understanding, or patient with people. Instead of putting my hope in God, and depending on Him, I've been relying on movies or tv or books to make me happy. You see.. I have this thing, that when I'm not very happy with life, I'll read a book or watch a movie/tv show to get away from reality and make me feel a bit better. But then... when the movie ends, or when the book ends.. I feel totally depressed because I have to face reality. But I think, this week especially, climaxing at the RICE Rally, God's been trying to tell me to rely on Him, and not all these meaningless things to give me joy and peace.
On thursday night, I think it was, I was lying in bed, feeling a bit depressed.. maybe because of guilt, maybe because of uncontentment.. I'm not sure. But then.. I suddenly started singing Nichole Nordeman's song Why to myself. Then for some reason.. I found myself crying.. I think.. because I realised just how much Jesus suffered.. to feel unloved, rejected and totally abandoned by God. Just the realisation that he did all that for me, for us, moved me to tears. And that just reminded me that.. I can either put my trust in the world, or I can put my trust in God. Whereas all movies end, feelings change, circumstances change, life ends.. the fact that Jesus died for us will never ever change.. and we can put our full trust in that and the life to come.
Another thing is I really haven't been having much fellowship lately. Dunno why.. maybe I've been excluding myself or something.. once again not sure. But I had GREAT fellowship today at ONE WAY. Spoke with Manda and Baby Steph for a bit after the service about letting go of the things that won't last till eternity and putting our trust in God instead. It's so encourageing to see how God's changed the people around me. We're a family at ONE WAY and it's awesome that we're all in the same boat when it comes to being a christian. We all face the same struggles, and share the same hope.
After we ate we had Growth Groups! Yay! I've missed GGs so much. But don't get me wrong, I love having one2one as well.. it's just that not having GG leaves a void and I find myself bored out of my brains and tearing up anything within 10cm of me. And it's so great to have the fellowship whilst learning more about God and what it means to be a christian. I actually quite like being split up into gender groups (yes.. not quite gender discrimination). It's actually really good because I think we (girls) and of course guys too, need our time to grow separately. Plus the guys can sometimes be a distraction too.. hehe so it's good. No distractions! We had some great discussion and it was really really nice and very encourageing. I wonder how the guys' one went. Got some more encourageing words from Deb about the praise and worship.. so thanks Deb =D. I think Irma did a great job at leading us in GG today as well. Also very encouraged because Alison learnt something awesome during one2one (not sure what it was.. but she was definately blown away!) and she was just like.. radiant.. lol.
Well... just to sum up.. I've had a very encourageing weekend and am so so greatful. Feeling quite elated.. and I'm smiling again! hehe (I haven't been smiling much lately). But yeah.. doesn't mean that God is only good when life is good. Life is hardly ever good in my opinion hehe.. but on some occasions it can be pretty good. But no matter what, God is good, all the time.. so when you think about it.. life ain't that bad either. One of the great things about being a christian is you see things in a totally different perspective. You're not only living for the here and now.. but you're living with the perspective that one day you'll be in Heaven with God.. and that makes a huge difference to your attitude and the way you live your life.
Anyway.. have a read of the verses below.. and really have a think about it..
Peace out!
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.
- Ecclesiastes 2:11
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- Matthew 6:19-21
So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
- Matthew 6: 31-34
2 comments:
ops.. what am i doin here??.. oh wells..i guess i have to comment then... mighty long blog.. very interesting... hmm. yes.. ah.. oaky dokey.. laters.
Thanks Dan. I'm sure you'll go there some time in your life.. hopefully ;) But yeah you're right.. things don't always turn out the way we want.. but we can have peace in knowing that our God is in control and everything will be alright in the end.
Post a Comment