What a cold and miserable day it is! I never really feel like doing anything on days like this. Perhaps just snuggling up in a warm blanket and watching something nice. Speaking of which, I just finished watching the new Pride & Prejudice (got it on dvd for only $15.98) with my Dad. Lol he actually really liked it. Of course I had to explain a lot of it to him but I think he got the gist of it. He found it really interesting; the characters, the story, the moral message, etc.
It's such a classic and unforgettable story. One of the special features is about "The Politics of Dating" in the 18th century and I find it really interesting. What they say is basically, in those days, there were certain ways that people acted, certain rules of conduct, especially when it came to BGRs. Men stood up and bowed when a woman walked into the room as a form of courtesy, to give up their present pleasure for the sake of the lady. Everything was proper and I guess in a way it was a very rigid society, but that's not necessarily a bad thing imo. One of the women on the video said that these days when you meet the opposite sex you don't know what you're doing; do you shake hands or hug or kiss eachother on the cheek or slap each other on the back or something?
But people often say that it would be horrible to live in such a repressed society. I don't agree actually. I think it would be really good. Because of the fact that their behaviour was so controlled and their actions had to be repressed despite the strength of their emotions, it makes something like dancing so electric. Dancing at balls was the only time that you could really be alone with the opposite sex and have the chance to have one on one conversation without creating a scandal. Balls were also one of the only times that physical contact was permitted.The first time your hands touch can be so powerful as well. These days the barriers have just been continually broken down. I wonder how far our society can get and whether we'd ever get back to the way it used to be?
Monday, May 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment