Saturday, July 29, 2006


What's new Teach?


So guess who's procrastinating.. again! Yup, that'll be me *raises hand*. I just tend to forget that school and homework and assignments and exams actually exist on the weekend.. i'm living in an alternate universe where all of these very exciting and wonderful things.. do not exist!

ok so my uni preferences should be due in some time in august.. we still havent got the info yet.. but I've been researching... having a mother that works at a uni really opens up your access to a wide range of sources.. not really.. just the undergraduate handbook.. which is actually online anyway.. but when your download limit has finished and will only be renewed at the beginning of the month... using the internet becomes a tad bit tedious.. I could walk around my house and do a million things while waiting for one page to load... as a matter of fact.. it took a while just to get here.. (oh the dedication!).. if you totally dont get what on earth i'm talking about then dont feel bad.. i've been in a sort of funky mood this week where no one seems to get my lame jokes.. ha.. I must not be projecting properly.........

anyhoo.. I was gonna post something about my uni preferences wasn't I.. lol.. got distracted.. so as I was saying.. I was researching my options (I do this every once in a while....... for kicks =P) and... I think I have finally come to a conclusion (this is what I always think when I close the undergraduate handbook so nothing is set in stone just yet).. B Psycholgy will still be my first choice... but then if I don't get that.. I'm gonna do a B Arts/B Education majoring in English & History... huh huh? waddya think? BA/BEd is pretty low so.. if I make it into Psych then I'll probably do it.. but otherwise.. I'm more than happy to do the BA/BEd (I think..).. Actually I don't even know if I still wanna do Psych.. not coz I'm not interested but I just dont think I wanna go down that career path and there's no point just doing it halfway.. I won't be qualified to do hardly anything... and besides there's heaps of Psych courses in the BEd so it's not like it'll be a totally psych-less experience...

BA/BEd has it's problems too though.. I mean, do I really wanna study English & History on a tertiary level (and it'll be mostly modern history instead of ancient which is a bummer for me coz I really prefer ancient)?!?!? Do I really wanna be a teacher?!?! I don't think I mind actually.. it's an interesting job.. nice community feel.. good hours... reasonable pay.. and you get to see these kids all group up & learn new things... it's pretty cool.

Plus.. I think English & History will be interesting too.. (haha you know at UNSW one of their courses in Yr 2 is on Jane Austen in her context.. that'd be soo cool!). I thought about Science before but if I did that then I'd have to learn Chemistry and Physics and ugh! gag me! (no offence to those who like it.. i just dont). Then I also thought about maths... pretty easy to teach u know.. all very methodical.. but then I looked at all the courses I'd have to study and I had pretty much the same reaction as I did to teaching Science... So then I had a look at the English and History courses.. and although a lot of them arnt too appealing either (like poetry... eww!).. they're much more appealing than Science & Maths.

Anyway.. I have a good feeling about this... teaching English or History... pretty excited too. If I became a teacher.. I would wanna be the ones that spend heaps of time the night before planning out the lesson and how to make it interesting and understandable.. I mean... you just see from your own experience with teachers that those are the best... and one that is approachable and patient (uhh, might have to work on that one)... I just think it'd be cool to be in a position where you could really, make a difference in a person's life (well it's not like saving the world or anything but... they just don't have a course on that one =P)

Oh yeah that reminds me.. St Matthias has started a lunch time get together at my school. It's pretty cool. I've gone only twice, the first time there were heaps of ppl.. but then last friday.. it was just me, alison, and natasha... lol. But it was still really good actually. The topic we're talking about is love & relationships.. haha yeah I can tell that none of you are surprised.. The two girls that do it are really encourageing and friendly and outgoing... oh and somehow... gareth got mentioned... lol.. and apparently one of the girls is the god-sister of gareth's older sister and she used to tell her that her little brother would grow up to be so hot.. and according to her, he did.. he really did lol and I'm not kidding about the emphasis.... small world huh...

hmm... I had such a crappy day on thursday.. nothing really bad happened but I dunno.. I was just in a bad bad mood.. can u feel it? yeah.. a rant's coming up... I can't stand it when people brag and boast about things.... like my goodness! can't they just keep it to themselves. Of course ppl are proud of their achievements, of course they want their achievements to be acknowledged.. but do they really have to rub it in your face?!?! What makes it worse is that I try so hard not to brag and you know, just try and be modest about everything.. and I dont have to do it! I could brag if I wanted to but I just make a lot of effort to make sure that I dont! You'd think that if a friend were in my position they'd return the favour!! Like for example (and this is not what happened to throw me into a funk.. but it's very common)... when you get your test results.. and you did really well.. you sorta know not to ask other ppl because you don't want them to feel bad about their mark or feel jealous or anything.. so you just avoid asking ppl.. if ppl ask you then u tell them but u just dont go out of your way to compare your score with others.. i mean, you know that you did well.. why should u care what others got... but really... you know that all you really wanna do is just ask all the ppl around you what they got so that you can feel good about yourself and your mark.. I mean, who doesn't like hearing "so-n-so got the top mark".... but you just don't ask... well I wouldn't ask... except maybe something broad like questions that don't require a mark to be said..... anyway.. I shouldn't care... but I did.. and it just threw me into a bad mood for the rest of the day...

And another thing... people, doing charity work so that it can look good on their CV.. argh that's so annoying too! If you're gonna do charity work do it coz you wanna help people and make a difference.. not because you want a stupid certificate that says that you're a good citizen because that goes really well with employers... even if it IS laminated! People who do that are just such frauds!! Pretending to be a good citizen and all when really, they're just doing it for themselves! See it's 40hour famine time and I just hate the whole concept that some ppl push.. "do a nice thing and feel good about yourself".. like those ads on tv of the couples that sponsor a child..... here's my philosophy... do a nice thing because it's a nice thing to do! And instead of doing it in front of lots of ppl so that they can all go "ooo aaa... so-n-so is such a good person!".. try doing it when no one is looking and you dont get any praise for it!

but well.. I was just reminded in the lunch time bible study that we should follow God's example of love.. we should be loving to ppl around us not because we expect them to do the same in return or to get something out of it... but just because that's what Jesus would have done..

(sigh..) rant officially over.

My brother and susan came over today and.. wow.. get this.. he reckons I grew taller.. of course it's probably not true but hey.. who am I to deny wishful thinking... made my day =P

No comments: