Tuesday, May 10, 2005

What's worse?

waiting.. or asking?

These days, due to the feminist movement and arguments about gender equality, it seems to be common knowledge that it is no longer the obligation of the male to initiate a relationship. It's perfectly fine for a woman to initiate and even lead a man in a relationship. Personally, I think something's not quite right here.

Men have been reduced to whimpering, cowardly beings, afraid of rejection. Rejection is tough, I agree. The fear of it, may be overpowering at times. But let me point this out to you fellas out there (and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but the general male population):
Initiating a relationship with a girl means that you have a 50% chance of being rejected, and a 50% chance of being accepted. If you don't make a move at all, there's a 100% chance that you won't be in a relationship when you wake up the next morning.
However, I'm not saying, go out there and get yourself just any old woman. Your decision should be wise, informed, and a result of God's guidance in your life.

Men have it tough, I agree. But it's not easy for women either. At least as men, you have control over the whole situation (well, to some extent). The ball's in your court. Us women (I think) have to face an equally difficult challenge, that, of patiently waiting until the man makes a move. I'm often plagued with thoughts such as, What if he never asks? What if I end up an old spinster? I don't want to be an old spinster! Waiting, is tough too. The not-knowing part can be unbearable at times. But, I'm always reminded that whatever God has in plan for me, I can trust that it is a good plan, and it's what's best for me. Besides, it's not relevant to my situation in life right now, so what's the point of worrying about it. (Lol, this is where my personality faults come in). It's better to set my mind on how I can live for God, and serve the people around me.

Anyway, if you fellas don't take up the responsibility of leadership, it makes it extremely difficult for us girls to just sit around and do nothing. I know that everything in my nature at least, tells me to get up and do something about it, take control, when the guys in my life aren't doing so. To repress such urges takes a great deal of self control.
Simply put, if you don't do the leading, who will?

And guys, you don't have to be in a relationship to practice leadership. You can practice leadership right now, with the girls in your lives; your sisters in Christ. And girls, we don't have to be in a relationship to practice submission either. Learning to submit to the guys' leadership can be done any old day of the week. It takes a lot of practice and willpower to do so, but I think we can be confident that this is what God wants to see in our relationships with eachother.

How 'bout we turn this wacky upside down world, right-side up again huh?

1 comment:

Jen said...

50 50.. yeah, u're right.. but at least there's a greater chance than 0 =P

well.. u'd be surprised how hard waiting is.. girls, patient.. I wish I could confirm that.. but it's not that easy Tom =P ... either way.. it's not easy.. hehe

yea.. bit of joshua harris there.. but I do fully agree with him.. he probably learnt it from some other source too.. c'est la vie!