Does the way we live our lives matter?
Yes of course it matters! Why? For 2 reasons as given from the passage.
1. It matters because we are saved, NOT so that we can be saved (v9-10)
Ok a bit confused by that? I was at first, until I read it over more slowly. Basically, the way Christians live their lives does matter, because we have been chosen by God as his very own people, to represent him on Earth. We have been saved by God's grace, so that we may bring glory to God's name, so that we can praise Him and thank Him for his great love for us.
The way we live matters, because we've been saved by God. However, some people think that the way Christians live, and the reason they strive to be good people is so that God will save us. But that's totally not true. Christians strive to be good people because God has saved them and called them to live in the light, not because God will save them if they be good people. Think about it. There's quite a difference. Oom Joe (english/indonesian/chinese speaking Reverend at my church) always stresses the fact that the english language is very precise and specific, whereas a language such as indonesian is very general. For example he said in baptism class, saying 'Jesus is God' and 'Jesus is like God' is very different.
2. It matters because people may potentially be saved (v11-12)
If Christians are to stand out from the crowd, by swimming against the tide, people might come to know God and be saved. Even though people say things to condemn Christians, our actions will speak louder than words in our defence. With every argument there has to be supporting detail, therefore without firm evidence, no argument can exist.
This is the other reason why Christians live the way they do. So that the people around them may see the way they live their life and possibly come into a relationship with God. We are to be examples in this world, standing out from the crowd. We try to be good people out of love for the people around us.
Conclusion
As Christians, the way we live our lives matters because 1) We are saved by God's grace and given new life, NOT so that we can be saved; and 2) the people around us may be potentially saved.
I finally learnt what was meant by all this cornerstone business after listening to Darwin's talk. I'm referring to Psalm 118:22 - "The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone" which is quoted a few times in the New Testament. I never really understood this verse. I knew what a cornerstone/capstone was, but I didn't really get this verse. But I get it now! the stone is symbolic for Jesus, and the verse is basically saying that although some reject Jesus, others accept him into their lives and he becomes their foundation, their source of life basically. Just thought I'd share that with you ;)
Darwin's talk and this passage was also a reminder to me to try to stand out from the crowd, to swim against the flow, i.e. to not conform to this world's pattern of living, but be an example of God's glory and love by living a life of love myself. Christianity is not just a label you stick onto yourself. You are not born a Christian. You are not a Christian because you are born into a Christian family, just like you are not truly a Buddhist if you are born into a Buddhist family, or Catholic, or any religion for that matter. I'm really cynical about the word 'religion' these days, because I think it's meaning has been distorted. When people ask you what your religion is, usually you will say christian or buddhist or muslim or whatever, simply because that's what your parents are and you've been brought up in that type of family. But that's not what religion is. Religion is more like a way of life. That's why I'm a bit skeptical when people say what their religion is in their profile, or when asked.
Like I said, Christianity is not just a label you stick on yourself, but it's a way of life. I need to live as a Christian and show it more in my life. I'm representing God, and by behaving in certain ways, I know that I'm bringing shame to God's name, and that's not something I want to do because it doesn't reflect what God has done in my life, and it means I'm being unloving to others by well, badmouthing God's name I suppose. I don't want people to look at me and think to themselves, "So that's what it means to be a Christian! What hypocrits!" or "And she calls herself a Christian!" or "So that's what it means to be a Christian. Well I don't want to be like that!". I don't want to hinder my friends' or family's relationship or potential relationship with God because I haven't been living the way I should. So guys, school friends and church friends alike, please try to encourage me on this, coz it's not easy. It'd be great to have some support =)
"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people
light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives
light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men,
that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
- Matthew 5:14-16
No comments:
Post a Comment