Monday, July 11, 2005

Three C's..

Ko Ahon talked to us today. I remember when I was in preteen and he used to give talks. Shame on me but yes.. I did think that he was pretty boring and didn't really appreciate him. But seeing him at Remaja yesterday.. and hearing his answers to Darwin's question.. I just couldn't help thinking.. "this guy seems to genuinely love God" and about how humble he was. It's good to see that throught he years I have changed and matured just that little bit to be able to appreciate people more and be more loving. Not that I'm proud of myself.. but really grateful to God for changing me by His love. He struggles with english a bit (which is one of the reasons that I think I thought he was boring) but I've just learnt to be more patient and to not let that stop me from learning about God's word.

So yeah.. I really was touched by his humility and genuine love for God. And let's all be praying that God will guide Him as he goes back to indo to minister over there (or not).

Here's an outline of his talk from
Acts 17:16-34:


What is your mission?
My answer to that question was to love God and love others more. Ahon gave the more specific answer of sharing the good news with others, which I guess is part of loving others.

Three C's when doing mission.
1. Connect with the people
2. Correct the people of any misunderstandings or misconceptions
3. Call them to repent

1. Connect
Christianity is not exclusive. This is something that some people born into christian homes think. We're not christian because of anything great that we've done.. but because God chose us. This is especially true within youth groups like mine, that we cannot exclude newcomers or anyone for that matter. We become a hindrance to that perso's spiritual growth if we do so. I know that I'm guilty of this.

2. Correct
Many people misunderstand or have misconceptions about the Bible and what it means to be christian. We should lovingly correct them and lead them to the truth. I know that some people have a bad opinion about missions because of what happened to Indigenous Australians and how they were "forced" to become christians. Were the christian people of that time wrong or are the people of this world wrong? I'm not too sure on that one.

3. Call
After being saved, we can't continue living the way we once did. Problems occur in this world because of Sin. Like Darwin said, poverty, murder, terrorism.. none of these is the biggest problem facing the world. Our biggest problem is sin, and from that problem do all the world's other problems arise. We need God to change us, we need him to whisper in our hearts... but God also works through us.. so we should preach repentance to all peoples.

No comments: